"For unparalleled access to shopping, dining, and transit, look no further than Union City."
— Walter Burns
Union City LifestyleThis Hudson County community has roots dating back to the early 1900s. There were two major waves of immigration that influenced Union City into becoming what it is today: First a wave of German immigrants and second, a wave of Spanish immigrants. Today this metropolitan community maintains strong ties to its roots. In fact, its two nicknames, "Embroidery Capital of the United States" and "Havana on the Hudson", reflect key aspects of its founding.
- Union City has culture and a lot of it. For instance, thousands of people journey to Union City each year to watch the country's longest-running passion play. What's more, this community also hosts the annual Cuban Day Parade of New Jersey. It's a vibrant display of culture, music, food and dancing and is a must-see! Because of its strong cultural background, this community also boasts some amazing authentic cultural restaurants. From Southeast Asia to South America, you can easily take a trip around the world with your taste buds when you live here!
- You can't go to Union City without checking out Bergenline Avenue. Originally, this corridor was not considered a business center and, in fact, street car tracks were expected to be laid on Palisade Avenue where the Town Hall was located. But an influential resident named Henry Kohlmeier didn't want traffic noises to disrupt him so he suggested creating a commercial thoroughfare on the road. Today, Bergenline Avenue is the city's main commercial thoroughfare and is also the longest commercial avenue in the state, with more than 300 retail stores and restaurants!
- Population in 2012: 67,744 (100% urban, 0% rural)
- Population change since 2000: +1%
- Males: 33,659 (49.7%)
- Females: 34,085 (50.3%)
- Median resident age: 33.9 years
- New Jersey median age: 41.5 years
- Union City zip codes: 07087
- Estimated median household income in 2012: $39,890 (it was $30,642 in 2000)
- Union City: $39,890
- New Jersey: $69,667